Sunday, January 22, 2012

Vintage Valentine


Valentine's Day is almost upon us! This is an image I created of two lovers on one of the many boats in New York harbor. (Perhaps the Staten Island Ferry... not usually the most romantic boat in New York but who can say...?)

My inspiration for this card actually came from the Eiffel Tower Winter card in the previous posting. I wondered why I had not drawn some of the totally beautiful, breath-taking locations in New York City. Every day on my commute the subway train that I ride rumbles high above the New York Harbor and I can catch a quick glimpse of the Statue of Liberty (for about ten seconds!).

The card is meant to look old fashioned in the style of clothes and in the very restrained color palette. I tried to recreate the old sepia toned photographs in everyone's attic. The only color used in a light pink wash in the sky and brown and flesh tones for our two lovers. If you like it you can find it for sale on my Etsy page at http://www.etsy.com/shop/danieljosephdurkin . Happy Valentine's Day, my friends. Hug to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment