Friday, January 6, 2012

2012- the Year of the Dragon


Hello everyone! I am very pleased to say goodbye to the big winter holidays. Although I love them, Christmas can become overwhelming when you work in retail. Stores are open longer and the poor employees have to listen to the same ten, worn out, Christmas Carols on repeat. (If I ever hear Michael Jackson sing "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" again I cannot hold myself responsible for my actions.)

I am pleased that I finally had two whole days off in which I could sit down and draw. Last year I had a great deal of fun creating a card for the Chinese New Year which celebrated the Rabbit. Now that is 2012 we are about to enter the Year of the Dragon. The image on the card is supposed to be a scene reminiscent of the the Miss America pageants. The little white bunny, last year's winner, stands beside the dragon and claps. (I'm going to miss that bunny.) The rest of the animals of the zodiac are present and watching.

According to my good friend the Internet; "The Year of the Dragon will be marked by excitement, unpredictability, exhilaration and intensity." This particular web site goes on to say, "...people respond to the spirit of the Dragon with energy, vitality and unbridled enthusiasm, often throwing all caution to the wind. The Dragon is all about drama." A friend of mine (shout out to Melissa!) sent me an email earlier this week and she admitted that this last year of the bunny "could have used a little more HOP!!" and she was looking forward to the arrival of the Dragon and "a new year filled with FIRE!"

Best wishes in 2012 to everyone! Big hugs, -Dan

1 comment: